PRE-SCHOOL EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
UNIVERSITY OF THESSALY
Address: Argonafton and Filellinon Streets,Volos 38221, GREECE
Tel/Fax : +30-24210-74807 and +30-210-8075978
Mobile phone : +30-6977424193
HEAD: S.M. PIPERAKIS
PERSONNEL- RESEARCH PROJECTS
We live in an environment that poses continual threats to our genetic material.
Ionizing irradiation, ultraviolet light from the sun and a multitude of chemical
agents (some manmade) cause alterations of our DNA.
This is particularly prominent in sensitive populations such as children
where these external factors may cause serious implications to their health.
Our research is focused on a systematic recording, assessment and investigation
of these implications using Classical and Molecular Epidemiological Methods.
The aim is to appropriately inform and educate these immediately affected populations
in order for them to take suitable preventive measures which will minimize the dangers.
Our group is focused on the study of environmental factors (i.e. air pollution, sun exposure,
pesticides, water pollution, diet, smoking etc) that could cause serious health problems
particularly to children, who constitute a very sensitive population group.
Classical and Molecular Epidemiological studies are carried out using suitable methodological
tools such as questionnaires and Molecular Biology methods.
Our goal is to inform and educate these immediately affected populations in order for
them to take suitable preventive measures which will minimize the dangers.
1. Michalis Panayotidis, (University of Nevada). B.Sc., Ph.D.
Visiting Professor: Diet and Cancer.
2. Maria Koroni, B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D., Postdoctoral Scientist :
Biological, Psychological and Social Aspects of Children�s
3. Fotini Garagouni-Areou, B.Sc., Ph.D., Postdoctoral Scientist:
Effects of Environmental Factors on Children's Health and
4. Giannis Delimaris, B.Sc., Ph.D., Postdoctoral Scientist:
Detection of DNA Damage in Humans: Molecular Epidemiological Approaches.
5. Argyro Aggelosopoulou, B.Sc., Postgraduate Student :
Bio-psychological Factors of Bronchial Asthma in Childhood.
6. Maria Papanikolaou B.Sc., Postgraduate Student :
Effects of Traffic Pollution to Children's Health.
7. Nantia Kontogianni, B.Sc., Research Associate:
�Sensitivity of Children's Genetic Material (DNA) Exposed to
8. Georgia Karanastasi, B.Sc., Research Associate:
The Bio-psychological Effects of Stress in Single Parent
1. M. Koroni, F. Garagouni-Areou, C. Roussi-Vergou, M. Zafiropoulou,
S. M. Piperakis. The Stigmatization of Obesity in Children.
A Survey in Greek Elementary Schools, Appetite 2009, 52,
2. S. M. Piperakis, K. Kontogianni, G. Karanastasi, Z. Iakovidou-
Kritsi, M. M. Piperakis. The Use of Comet Assay in Measuring DNA
Damage and Repair Efficiency in Child, Adult, and Old Age
Populations, Cell Biology Toxicology 2009, 25, 65-71.
3. S.M. Piperakis, A. Kritsi, F. Garagouni-Areou, X. Gialama. A Survey
on the Knowledge, Attitude and Behaviour of Greek Elementary
School Students about Oral Health and Dental Care. Pediatric
Dental Journal 2008, 18, 1-9.
4. S.M. Piperakis, F. Garagouni-Areou, E. Argyrakouli,
A.S. Piperakis, Z. Iakovidou-Kritsi, A. Triga. A survey on Smoking
Habits and Attitudes among Adolescents in Greece. International
Journal of Medical Health, 2008, 20, 63-71.
5. S. M. Piperakis, V. Papadimitriou, M. Zafiropoulou, A. S. Piperakis,
P. Zisis. Dietary Habits of Greek Primary School Children. Journal
of Science Education and Technology, 2007, 16, 271-278.
6. K. Kontogianni, N. Messini-Nikolaki, K. Christou,
K. Gourgoulianis, S. Tsilimigaki, S.M. Piperakis. DNA Damage and
Repair Capacity in Lymphocytes From Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Patients. Environmental Molecular Mutagenesis , 2007, 48, 722-727.
7. S. M. Piperakis, K. Kontogianni, C. Siffel, M. M. Piperakis.
Measuring the Effects of Pesticides on Occupationally Exposed
Humans with the Comet Assay. Environmental Toxicology, 2006,
8. V. Papadimitriou, S.M. Piperakis. An Investigation into the Greek
Secondary School Graduates� Knowledge and Awareness of Healthy
Diet and Nutrition. Journal of Science Education, 2005, 6, 36-40.
9. S.M. Piperakis , A. Sotiriou, E. Georgiou, Á. Thanou,
M. Zafiropoulou. Understanding Nutrition : A Study of Greek
Primary School Children Dietary Habits, before and after Classroom
Nutrition Intervention. Journal of Science Education and
Technology, 2004, 13, 129-136.
10. S.M. Piperakis, V. Papadimitriou, M.M. Piperakis and P. Zisis,
Understanding Greek Primary School Children�s Comprehension of
Sun Exposure, Journal of Science Education and Technology,
2003, 12, 135-141.