1973. B. Sc. University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
1976. Ph. D. ( Genetics ), University of Wales, Britain.
Professor of Biology
Tel/Fax : +30-24210-74807 and +30-210-8075978
Mobile phone : +30-6977424193
E- mail: email@example.com
TOPICS TAUGHT :
2. «Genetics and Inheritance»
3. «Diet, Environmental Factors and Health»
4. «Research Methods in Biology»
RESEARCH INTERESTS :
Environmental factors such as sun irradiation, dietary habits, air pollution, smoking, pesticides etc,
cause more serious implications in the health of sensitive populations like children.
Our research is focused on a systematic recording, assessment and investigation of these
implications using Classical and Molecular Epidemiological Methods.
The aim is to appropriately inform and educate these immediately affected populations in order for
them to take suitable preventive measures which will minimize the dangers.
v 1976-77 : Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Genetics,
University of Leeds, UK.
v 1977-79 : Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biochemistry,
University of Glasgow, UK.
v 1979-83 : Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biochemistry,
University of Liverpool, UK.
v 1983-85 : Postdoctoral Fellow, School of Biological Sciences,
University of Sussex, UK.
v 1985-05 : Senior Research Scientist, Institute of Biology,
NCSR “Demokritos”, Athens, Greece.
v 1995-05 : Director of DNA Repair Laboratory, Institute of
Biology, NCSR “Demokritos”, Athens, Greece.
v 2005-09 : Associate Professor of Biology, Pre-School
Education Department, University of Thessaly,
v 2009-now: Professor of Biology, Pre-School Education
Department, University of Thessaly,
RECENT PUBLICATIONS :
1. M. Koroni, F. Garagouni-Areou, C. Roussi-Vergou, M. Zafiropoulou,
S. M. Piperakis. The Stigmatization of Obesity in Children.
A Survey in Greek Elementary Schools, Appetite 2009, 52,241–244.
2. S. M. Piperakis, K. Kontogianni, G. Karanastasi, Z. Iakovidou-
Kritsi, M. M. Piperakis. The Use of Comet Assay in Measuring DNA
Damage and Repair Efficiency in Child, Adult, and Old Age
Populations, Cell Biology Toxicology 2009, 25, 65–71.
3. S.M. Piperakis, A. Kritsi, F. Garagouni-Areou, X. Gialama. A Survey
on the Knowledge, Attitude and Behaviour of Greek Elementary
School Students about Oral Health and Dental Care. Pediatric
Dental Journal 2008, 18, 1–9.
4. S.M. Piperakis, F. Garagouni-Areou, E. Argyrakouli,
A.S. Piperakis, Z. Iakovidou-Kritsi, A. Triga. A Survey on Smoking
Habits and Attitudes among Adolescents in Greece. International
Journal of Medical Health, 2008, 20, 63-71.
5. S. M. Piperakis, V. Papadimitriou, M. Zafiropoulou, A. S. Piperakis,
P. Zisis. Dietary Habits of Greek Primary School Children. Journal
of Science Education and Technology, 2007, 16, 271-278.
6. K. Kontogianni, N. Messini-Nikolaki, K. Christou,
K. Gourgoulianis, S. Tsilimigaki, S.M. Piperakis. DNA Damage and
Repair Capacity in Lymphocytes From Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Patients. Environmental Molecular Mutagenesis , 2007, 48, 722-727.
7. S. M. Piperakis, K. Kontogianni, C. Siffel, M. M. Piperakis.
Measuring the Effects of Pesticides on Occupationally Exposed
Humans with the Comet Assay. Environmental Toxicology, 2006,
8. V. Papadimitriou, S.M. Piperakis. An Investigation into the Greek
Secondary School Graduates’ Knowledge and Awareness of Healthy
Diet and Nutrition. Journal of Science Education, 2005, 6, 36-40.
9. S.M. Piperakis , A. Sotiriou, E. Georgiou, Á. Thanou,
M. Zafiropoulou. Understanding Nutrition : A Study of Greek
Primary School Children Dietary Habits, before and after Classroom
Nutrition Intervention. Journal of Science Education and
Technology, 2004, 13, 129-136.
10. S.M. Piperakis, V. Papadimitriou, M.M. Piperakis and P. Zisis,
Understanding Greek Primary School Children’s Comprehension of
Sun Exposure, Journal of Science Education and Technology,
2003, 12, 135-141.
SCIENTIFIC SOCIETIES :
1. Member of the Genetic Society of Britain.
2. Member of the Biochemical Society of Britain.
3. Member of the Institute of Biology of Britain (Chartered Biologist).
4. Fellow of the Linnean Society of London, Britain.
5. Member of the United Kingdom Environmental Mutagen Society.
6. Member of the Association for Radiation Research of Britain.
7. Member of the Greek Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
8. Member of the Greek Society of Biological Sciences.
9. Member of the European Science Education Research Association (ESERA).
REFEREE IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS:
1. Mutation Research.
2. Journal of Science Education and Technology.
3. Cancer Letters.
4. International Journal of Radiation Biology.
5. Biochemica et Biophysica Acta.
6. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis.
7. Psychiatric Research.
8. The Scientific World JOURNAL.
9. Environmental Toxicology.
10. Cell Biology and Toxicology.
11. Radiation Research.
12. European Physical Journal-Applied Physics.
13. Health Promotion Practice.
14. International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education.
15. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry.
16. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health.
MEMBER OF JOURNAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE :
1. Journal of Science Education.
2. Journal of Biological Education.
PARTICIPATION IN SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCES PUBLICATIONS:
Participation in more than 160 scientific meetings in Greece and abroad.
Publication of more than 80 scientific papers in Greek and International Scientific periodicals.
MOST RECENT GRANTS
1. Greek Ministry of Education :
Participation in the Programme “The Bio-psychological Effects
of Stress in Single Parent Families”.
2. Association for International Cancer Research:
Participation in the Programme “Nutritional Influences on
Cancer Aetiology” (a British – Greek cooperation).
3. European Union :
Coordination of the Programme “Effects of Pesticides in
Humans” with participants from Greece, Spain, Hungary and
4. Greek Ministry of Education :
Coordination of the Programme “Diet habits; The Biology and
Psychology of Diet and the Misleading Effects of Advertising”.
5. European Union :
Participation in the Programme “European Network on
Children’s Susceptibility and Exposure to Environmental
Genotoxicants” (a cooperation among Greece, Belgium,
Denmark, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Britain, Finland,
Czech Republic, Hungary, Norway, Sweden and Poland).
Supervision of more than 50 students participating in research programmes or doing research
leading to either Masters or Ph. D. degrees.